Wednesday, April 24, 2013

home with the piano

In Danish language there is a great expression: to come from a home with the piano. This means to be raised in a (prosperous) home with cultural interests.
Music is all over us in our house.
David and Masha are playing violin. Masha sings in Childrens Choire. The youngest has been called partly after one of my favourite violinist Jascha Heifetz. (Funny but already many years ago I was convinced that my kid would be called Jascha)

We attend numerous concerts, even taking the kids and us to the icon of violin Itzhak Perlam and cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
And now we actually having a real piano in our house. Finally, a real one.
When I was a kid, growing up in an intelligent family, I had to take music lessons. This is something come being a part of the childhood description, goes from generation to generation. This is something one can't choose but just does it. I hated those piano lessons, while my friends were going out, I was either going to lessons or rehearsing. At the age of 14, I was about to throw it out of the window (12th flour). But now.... Oh, I love it. I love playing by myself, playing with kids. Finally our house is full with music.
And at the end of the day, when I work from home, this is the best way to get him occupied for 30 minutes a time.

No comments: