Sunday, May 6, 2012

12 years ago...

12 years ago I was sitting in the plane taking off from Moscow to Copenhagen - crying, knowing that this trip will change my life forever.
I was going to Denmark, to a country, I had quite a limited knowledge: Hans Christian Andersen, Hamlet, Queen Margrethe and Little Mermaid. That is about all. OK, I knew it was not a part of Sweden at least. 
In a way I was very happy and proud of myself. I was going to be an exchange student for Copenhagen University, a bright student, full of life and ideas, chosen and gotten a full scholarship. On the other hand, I was sad, as upon my departure, I got some clear instructions NOT to come back, no matter what. Not because my mum didn't want to see me, or she didn't want to have anything to do with me. No, it was simply because I had to create a better life for myself, a safe and a stable life for myself, not matter what.
This is how a new chapter of my grown-up life began. Me, beginning 19 years old of age, facing life all by myself. And I have decided:

If I ask any of you, I guess, you all will answer me the same way. I do live my life memorable. Why? I guess, with all ups and downs, challenges and successes, every time, I am trying to get the best out of every situation.
These 12 years gave me the most wonderful husband, whom I love dearly, and that is why he gets to hear and experience my hysterical fits once in a while; my 2 kids and 1 on a way, whom I love dearly, too, and who get to experience a "tiger mum" constantly going after them with homework, violin, behaviour (and yes, the new one will get to experience his share of love); my 'former' colleagues and my friends, who have been crying with me, fought for me and are there for me, even there is a 6-8 and 12-hour difference one way or the other.
Thank you. Thank you  for being there for me (not matter it was all 12 years or just a few months) and I do hope that the years to come will be as fun and will feel life a roller coaster as it did so far.



1 comment:

Evgenia said...

Very impressive!