Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cultural shock I guess

Normally, I am a very positive person, but recent events made me so mad that I simple in need of telling my thought and concerns.
I can't believe what Morten is facing at his office.
First, as you know, we are still in New York City, waiting. Understand me correctly: NY is definitely not the last place on earth you wouldn't want to be stuck at. But 5 weeks in a hotel room with 2 kids? Again, I would be fine with that, but then, comes the twist.
Our lawyer, who was representing us for Canadian authorities, changed jobs. We were not informed about that. When we learned about the change, a while later, we had to sign a new agreement, signed by Simcorp as well, to allow us to get a new representative. But what happens next is beyond my understanding. Now, we have to wait additional 2 weeks to be approved of our new representative. The decision is made, but in order for us to get the papers, we need our new representative to be approved.
The second thing is more about me. 2 managers at Simcorp expressed a desire to hire me, due to my knowledge, skills and experience. Sounds good, right? Well, when Morten gave my CV, to one of managers, he was informed that there is just a little thing. We needed to clear 'husband/wife' issue. Fair enough. As US HR was sick for almost 2 weeks, we have contacted Danish HR and required information. And we got it, quite quickly, efficiently, with the case a, b, and c explanations. So there were, of course, no problem, as it was not a problem for more then 10 people we know of. But... The comes the most unspeakable thing. I would understand, if they were interested, I would understand, there were many better qualified apprentices. But this is not the case. They were first asking about my interest for working for the company, was is just for being polite? And that is definately not the skills that are lacking, ok, I would say the guy with this kind of experience:
2006-2008
• Worked for the summers of 2006, 2007 and 2008 by offering labor services
• Gained valuable mechanical experience while earning money for college
If this is more suitable for the company then my skills then I am way too wrong.
The worse part about that the manager, looks into Morten eyes and lies. Just lies. How on earth one should be able to work under that kind of manager, how, I ask myself. I don't know if he thinks that Morten is stupid, or naive, or both at the same time. Why not to say the truth. Why?
Anyway, I needed to say that out loud.
I am proud of Morten that he keeps his cool. I do, and that he somehow deals with all this situation. He is the best.

2 comments:

Evgenia said...

What I am not getting in the first place, is why they made you start moving, before you got the Canadian job permit!

Zhenya and Morten said...

Good question. I wish I could get an answer to that question. You see, you have a canadian job permit. That we had for a month now. What we are waiting for is a Quebec approval. That is something else. What we have found out that they have already made a mistake once. and now they are doing it again. So, the question remains why, oh why.