Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Way to survive in Quebec - 2

It is winter... It has been winter for a loooong time..... I remember my first year in Canada the winter lasted "only" 3 months. 3 months?!!! And they call it a short winter?!!! 
This year winter seems to be the worse of all. In Quebec they do get a week or two with constant -20 but that is usually close to the end of the winter, however this year it has been cold and cold for 2 months on the row. 
How how is winter in Quebec? The first answer that comes on the mind is... That the winter is REAL here. And it is CHANGEABLE, because one never know how it is going to be during the day, that it can change from bad to worse and to bad again. 
Generally I love winter. I love when it is -5 C, snowing a little... I love seeing my children having fun in the snow when weather permits. 

I remember back in my university years, I have travelled to the remote areas of Siberia and tried -40 occasionally, when it is almost impossible to go out. I even tried to freeze a tip of my nose which is since then a very sensitive to the cold weather. 
So how do they survive this hash climate:
1. Weather forecast. For many weather forecast is the first thing on the mind. And it is not that only the temperature but the windchill, which can create dangerously cold conditions. 
2. They dress warmly in layers with a wind and waterproof outer layer. 
3. Purchase the best warm boots and the best warm jacket on the market, even if will cost you a fortune. 
4. Attend winter festival. Dozens of cities throughout Canada hold festivals to celebrate the winter months.  
5. If you have the time and ability, try such activities as skating, sledging, cross country skiing or snowshoeing.
6. if you have a little more budget and close to the hill, do alp skiing. There are plenty of opportunities in here. 
Or.... 

No comments: